Dead Pusa scientist’s siblings resisted bid to cremate rotting body, sent to IHBAS

Many of those who knew Kamla Sood, 60, did not get along with her. But when the decomposed body of his older brother was taken by police Thursday morning, they were moved to tears.

“She did not let the vehicle handle her brother’s body and insisted that her brother be alive and not be separated from her.” It was a heartbreaking sight, “said Sanjay Kumar, a security guard who was one of the first to detect death.

The Yashvir Sood decomposition body was discovered Thursday morning in a dilapidated and abandoned building on the campus of the Indian Institute of Agricultural Research (IARI) in Pusa, Delhi. He retired as principal investigator of the Institute in 2015.

The 64-year-old brothers and sisters, Kamla and Harish, had lived with their bodies for four days or more before the strong stench received attention next Thursday. Police said the three brothers and sisters were suffering from malnutrition and poor mental health. Kamla and Harish have been hospitalized for treatment.

“We would have been more sensitive and careful if we knew they were suffering mental problems, we thought they were arrogant and kept away,” said neighbor Govind.

So when a few people tried to launch into the brothers’ house on Thursday to detect the source of the bad smell, Kamla blocked their entrance and gave them a fight even stones. The police had to be called, but Kamla did not even let them in. It was only when large police arrived that an entrance arrived.

Guard Sanjay Kumar and his supervisor Sonu Kumar were the first to enter the house, followed by police. “The stench was so strong that my supervisor vomited twice, we organized boxes of four-chamber deodorants before we could continue,” Sanjay said.

The scientist’s body lay on a bed in a small, dark room. The worms infested his body and the flesh on his legs had begun to leave the bones. “The smell was unbearable, but it did not seem to affect his brothers and sisters,” said the guard.

According to Vijay Kumar, DCP (West), the scientist was an alcoholic who suffered from depression in the months before his retirement. “Yashvir was also mentally ill, even 30 months after retirement, he had not wanted to receive his pension or his gratification,” said the PDD.

Officials said efforts had been made to reach Yashvir to help him collect his money, but he would never fill out the form. “He was a big drinker and often gets rid of drunken work,” said Devaraj, a branch official in the institute’s administrative department.

Authorities struggled in late 2015 when they had to prevent Yashvir from leaving his staff after his retirement. The three brothers and sisters would not leave each other and had to be forcibly expelled after the grace period of a few months, said the neighbors who saw him.

“Since the department in question felt that Yashvir and his brothers and sisters had nowhere to go, they found the trio an abandoned building on campus to live on,” said a senior official at the institute.

Those who knew the three brothers and sisters for decades said that the trio was deeply in the academic world. “I remember Yashvir’s brother sitting on the street and studying for years, it’s sad to see their lives take an unfortunate turn,” said Ram Kishore, a local resident.

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *